Jul 25, 2015

Review: Penzion & Hostel Sofi (Prague)

Name: Penzion & Hostel Sofi
Address: Jeremenkova 304/55, Prague, 147 00, Czech Republic
Website: Booking.com

I stayed 3 nights in Prague at Penzion sofi in their mixed dormitory. Here is my simple review of the place.





Room:
The hostel offers dormitory beds and private rooms. I stayed at the 8 beds dormitory and loved how spacious it is. There is an open rack with hangers for everyone to hang their stuffs on. Other than that, there is a bedside drawer with lamp. The drawers are pretty spacious but cannot be locked.



There is no air conditioner and while I was there this summer, it felt a little hot if the windows are not opened.

There is a pantry, a toilet and a shower room with 2 wash basin and 1 mirror in the entire floor. The facilities are shared within everyone on the same floor. The same floor has 8 dorm beds and 1 private room.


Bed:
The bed is comfy and soft and clean. A comforter and a blanket is given along with a big almost square-ish pillow.



Toilet:
Toilets are generally clean though the floor of the shower room tend to be a little dirty.
I thought for so many guests, it's better for the basins to be separate from the shower room. Otherwise when someone showers, nobody can brush their teeth unless they use the toilet sink.
Toilet paper and hand towels are provided


Cleanliness:
The floor tend to be a little bit dusty but I think it's more because many guests wear their shoes into the room. But because the hosts vacuum and clean everything in the morning, i find everything clean enough.


Location:
Not exactly the best location to be honest. Other than 1 Mini market across the street, I don't see any other shops. The mini market always seemed to be closed by the time I return around 10pm.



There is a bus stop with just one bus ( Bus: 118) outside the hostel. The bus stop ( Pod Pekaƙkou ) is just outside. Thankfully, the bus schedule runs late so no worries about not being able to get back.



The nearest train station is Budejovick and you can take bus 118 from the Bus Stop Budejovick. Exit from the station, with a KFC on the ground floor (Mac Donalds is on the opposite exit ) turn left and follow the escalator up. The Bus Stop is immediately beside the escalator up.




I believe you can also take tram 3 and 17, alight at Dvorce and walk to the hostel. But I've personally never tried that before.


Learn more about travelling with public transport in Prague at this website.


Price:
I got it for €10 per night which I think is a steal.
However it seems like there are hostels in the old town with 24 hour receptions going at just €12 / beds. So on comparison, Penzion Sofi might not be as value for money.


Safety:
The neighbourhood is quiet so that seems ok. There is no place for you to lock your stuffs so it might be a concern for those who are carrying large amount of cash/valuables.
My other concern was the lack of 24 hour receptions. I forgot my keys one day and had to scream outside the gates for another hostee to open the door for me. I pressed all the bells i could find to no avail. It seems non of the staffs stay in the hostel over night. The reception is from 0900 - 2300 if i recall correctly.


Miscellaneous:
A towel with a sachet of shampoo and a sachet of shower gel is given upon check in. Hair dryer can be borrowed from the reception. Other than a hook stand in the shower room, I didn't see any other place for you to dry your laundry.
However, Laundry services that include washing, drying and folding can be provided for €10. I accumulated a big load and had them do my laundry for me. The detergent they used made me smell good the next few days :)
Wifi connection is pretty strong and available throughout the entire place.


Conclusions:
I liked how peaceful , clean and pretty the place is. Particularly liked how we have the entire floor to themselves. Other than the pantry, there is no other common area except the reception hall.


However due to the location, lack of shops and lack pf 24 hours reception, this hostel might not suit my next Prague trip. None of the staffs could speak decent english and trying to get travel advice from them can be difficult. This is a place suitable for someone who desires peace, doesn't mind the extra travel and is is relatively familiar with Prague.

I use Booking.com to book pretty much all my hostels and Hotel stays the past year or so. I've stuck with them because their website is simple, intuitive and highly intelligent, If you download the app on your smartphone, all your hotel information instantly syncs to it and you have all you need to know (maps, directions, agreed price, booking number etc) at the tip of your fingers. It is super useful for long trips as you can book and store all your accommodation information in a single place.

* Just a disclaimer, I may earn some commission when you book via the search engine below. It wouldn't come from you but from Booking.com & the hostee. I would really appreciate it if you do though, as it's a nice way to fund all these unbiased reviews and travel tips. But if you don't want to, of course I won't (be able) to force you to haha. Enjoy travelling! 

Booking.com

No comments: